In Malawi, western churches and charities have helped set up a lot of orphanages that provide children with food, clothes, and an education. children put in these institutions are considered lucky since most kids don't have those opportunities. However, the people that run the orphanages and take care of the kids don't get much help and say that small monthly donations would help them alot. At one orphanage in Malawi called Home of Hope, where madonna adopted her son, the founder Rev. Thomson Chipeta said he started it because families were so poor he had to create a better home for the children. I think it was really nice of those people in africa to care so much about the kids and want to create a safer living environment for them. I hope that they can recieve more help and money to help run their organizations. -jordan b. 1st period-
Last night I was watching 60 Minutes with my family. In a feature, they reported about the various conflicts in East Congo. The reporter talked about how Americans and other major consumers are fueling this conflict by needing precious metals that make jewelry and cell phones. These metals are being collected by rebel groups and smuggled to other countries to be sold. The leader of Responsible Jewelers for America, a group trying to combat conflicts such as these, urges consumers to ask about the source of the metals they are buying. I don't think that this makes any sense. If I went to Wal-Mart, the largest gold seller in America, they might tell me that the gold in my necklace comes from Somalia. I would then feel more comfortable because it is not from East Congo. No jeweler would ever tell you that a metal is from East Congo, however, because all metals are smuggled from that area. The unbelievable violence and poverty that stems from this conflict is plaguing the area. Millions of refugees have been uprooted from their homes into camps. In the report, the cameras showed a UN camp with thirteen million people. The people were carefully collecting flower that the UN provided. I thought that it was quite convenient that on the day 60 minutes was there, the UN was providing help. The last time flour came to these people was 5 months ago.
In Malawi, western churches and charities have helped set up a lot of orphanages that provide children with food, clothes, and an education. children put in these institutions are considered lucky since most kids don't have those opportunities. However, the people that run the orphanages and take care of the kids don't get much help and say that small monthly donations would help them alot. At one orphanage in Malawi called Home of Hope, where madonna adopted her son, the founder Rev. Thomson Chipeta said he started it because families were so poor he had to create a better home for the children. I think it was really nice of those people in africa to care so much about the kids and want to create a safer living environment for them. I hope that they can recieve more help and money to help run their organizations.
ReplyDelete-jordan b. 1st period-
Last night I was watching 60 Minutes with my family. In a feature, they reported about the various conflicts in East Congo. The reporter talked about how Americans and other major consumers are fueling this conflict by needing precious metals that make jewelry and cell phones. These metals are being collected by rebel groups and smuggled to other countries to be sold. The leader of Responsible Jewelers for America, a group trying to combat conflicts such as these, urges consumers to ask about the source of the metals they are buying. I don't think that this makes any sense. If I went to Wal-Mart, the largest gold seller in America, they might tell me that the gold in my necklace comes from Somalia. I would then feel more comfortable because it is not from East Congo. No jeweler would ever tell you that a metal is from East Congo, however, because all metals are smuggled from that area. The unbelievable violence and poverty that stems from this conflict is plaguing the area. Millions of refugees have been uprooted from their homes into camps. In the report, the cameras showed a UN camp with thirteen million people. The people were carefully collecting flower that the UN provided. I thought that it was quite convenient that on the day 60 minutes was there, the UN was providing help. The last time flour came to these people was 5 months ago.
ReplyDelete