Thursday, December 3, 2009



Reflect on the film. . .what new thoughts has it brought up for you?

What was the message of this film?

Is this film still relevant today? If so, how/why? If not, how/why not?

38 comments:

  1. Answer #1: I thought the movie was very interesting and pretty well made. I didn't know much about Ali before seeing the film, and now I do. I got to see what Ali was like as a person and not just a boxer and it was cool to see the actual fight between him and Foreman.

    Answer #2: I think the message of the film was to be able to see Muhammad Ali as the man he was instead of just the famous boxer that won against Foreman. Ali really cared about the society and the Africans and he wanted things to be better for them. He fought for many people and and he was a great role model even though he was cocky at times. I think the filmmakers wanted people to see that.

    Answer #3: Yes, this film is still relevant today because first of all Ali made history that day beating Foreman and boxing is still a sport today and Ali was a great boxer. Second of all, there are still many inequalities between Americans and Africans that exist today. That is what Ali wanted to change because he knew Africans were just as intelligent/talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film made me think more about who I am and about my legacy. It made me want to become more volcal and more ditermened to stand up for my rights and for the weak. The message of the film was to show all aspects of Muhammad Ali from the some what cocky, playful, and child like person he was to the deep, volcal, and proud man he was. This film is relavent today because it not only teaches use about Muhammad Ali, but it also connects African Americans to Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this film because it showed the differences between the African-Americans and the Africans. It showed that music and dance and art a huge part of their culture, no matter how different they may be.

    I thought it was cool how Muhammad Ali was representing Africa when he fought and he wanted to win for the people in Africa. He wanted things to change, also, for African-Americans and the way they were treated.

    This film is definitely still relevant today because these two groups of people are still different in the same ways like in the movie. Also, it's relevant because Muhammad Ali wanted the African-Americans to be treated differently and there are still people today that want that to happen for any ethnicity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernardo Period 9
    1. The new thoughts that was brought to me were the racism and hoe people were with one or the other.

    2.To shows the difference of African-Americans and Africans. How in some ways Africans are smarter.

    3. It is because people will react different with other people and how different are African-Americans and Africans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that this film was entertaining, but in a different way than other films are. The most entertaining part to me was how much personallity Ali had and how he decided to spread his feelings around the world though the press. And when he did this he didn't care at all what other people thought of him. I think this is partially because whenever someone criticized what Ali said, Ali always had a good comeback right away. The fact that Ali said and did what he wanted no matter what shows that he really lived up to the first few laws in the Bill of Rights, especially freedom of speech. I think that the message of this film is to be yourself and not to let anyone try to change your personality unless you want to. Ali is a great example of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.) This movie had me asking "why was Muhammad Ali considered a hero?" When we first began the movie, I viewed Ali as just a boxer. A simple athlete. When the people who were interviewed called him a hero and said he was a god to the people, I thought what? How? After a while, I did see how he could be viewed as a hero. He brought joy and inspiration to the people of Africa. He helped connected the culture of African-American and African through his boxing and his positive attitude.

    2.) I think the message of this film was to show how two different cultures (whether or not they come from the same ethnic background) can find a way to connect with one another through similar interests (i.e. sports). I think another message is to break the mold and work hard. Ali wasn't your "typical" African-American man. He got to where he was from hard work and determination. He was clever and cunning. And was proud a man, of himself and his people.

    3.) I think this film is still relevant today. The message still pertains to modern life. Connect with other people, don't fit the stereotype, follow your dreams, and work hard. (Besides, the film was entertaining. That's always a plus)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ali is defietly a man of his words and he has a passionate love for his people like a parent would have on their child. i think the message of this film was to stang up for your people and what you think is right. i thnk this film is relevant today because no one really has stood out and did what Ali did in his prime.-adonis dees pd.9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayla Period 4

    The film has brought up the thoughts of how Ali spent his days before his fight agianst George Foreman. It has also made me think about how much of a great speaker Ali was, and how much he had to say about his people. I think he could have been a great political speaker.

    I think the message of the film is to show just how great Ali was in the way he talked and the way he fought. I think the montage at the end was a great way to show it. The other message was to show the contrast in music and culture between Africans and Americans

    Yes! I believe that this film is still relevant today. I think this because the things Ali said, and the beliefs he had are very true to our time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think that Ali has a lot of confidence in what he says to other people and he is not afraid of the outcome. obviously he won the fight with Forman,but i think it was kind of how lucky he was on guessing winning the fight because you cant always judge a person but what you have seen them do before or what you hear about them. it was a good movie to watch but i don't think that the movie is relevant today for and ordinary person because times are different now then they were before and people don't do what Ali did. i think that the film was trying to tell people that see the video that Ali was a great fighter and that things can come out as you suspect but they can also turn out different, so don't always get your hopes up

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. This film has made me think about how the world can be so different but we are all similar in many ways

    2. I think the message of this film is that the world shares more common ground than we think and that we should put our differences aside and work out our problems

    3. I think this film is still relevent because it has a message that the world still struggles with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The main thought I was having was I couldn't beleive that Ali had won. He talked so much and was so cocky I didn't really expect it. I think this message was to show us more on him, because all we ever hear about him is just that he was a boxer. Never that he had effects on people or was capable of saying some of the really smart things he said. I think the film is really relevant, it shows what we didn't know about Ali and now we actually did learn something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The main new thought that I was thinking about was the fact that Ali actually won. After the way he was acting, and being so cocky I didn't expect him to actually win. I think the message of this film was to show us that Ali and Foreman weren't just brainless boxers. Like in the film Ali had really smart opionons, and it even showed how George foreman would study on the plane and try to understand french and what not.I think the guy at the end of the film saying how we don't really know anything about our later generation was right. Because we never learned that Ali influnced people, or had deep opinons and wanted to help people all we would hear is that he was a boxer. I think the film is really relevant because it's showing what we didn't know about the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) I like this film because it showed how confident Mohammed Ali was, and all that confidence helped him win the fight.
    2) I think that the message of this story was that you should believe in urself no matter what happens.
    3) I think that this film is still relevant today because people still fight for what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wes Marberry
    1. This film has made me think about how other countries benefit from events like The Rumble in the Jungle. This event put Zaire on the map, it brought a lot of political attention to the country. It also made me think about the determination it took for Ali to go against Foreman.
    2. The message of this film was how the black people in Africa are different from the black people in the U.S. At one point Ali talks about how black people are so much more in control in Africa than they are in the U.S. That is the main message of the movie to me.
    3. I think that this movie is still relevant today. It portrays many situations in Zaire that still go on in African countries today, such as the mass killing that the President did to impress the Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. well i never knew what a character muhammad ali was so thoughts would be how much i respect him

    2. then...the message of the film i think was the union of african americans and africans the link between both worlds.

    3.I think this movie is still relevant because it tells you about facing fears and standing up for your beliefs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Megan Period 4

    I really enjoyed watching this film because I felt like it was deeper than just the boxing. I felt a connection with Muhammed Ali, and his persistence. Even though George Foreman was bigger, stronger, and more experienced, Muhammed Ali went into the match with confidence. What helped him to win, was that instead of denying his weaknesses, he worked on them, so he could improve.

    I think that the message of this movie had to do with connections. In life, I think that you realize that you are very similar to other people. This film connected the lives of the Africans and the African Americans. It showed their similarities and their differences through great montages and film. I also think that this movie is about working towards your goals to ultimately be successful.

    Yes, I think that this film is still relevant today. Not only the film is timeless, but the message itself will always be important. Many people can benefit from watching this film.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this film has brought alot of thoughts that i never had. i never knew how muhammad ali had such a proufound effect on Zaire by just beating George foreman but it was more than that. i think the message of this film was to show people how a person had everything in america like money,cars, clothes but would give that up to fight for racisum. i think that the film is still relevant in many ways. today racism is still strong. many african americans still get treated as if they were garbage on the road. this film show how one person can make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I thought this film showed me many things about Muhammad Ali that I didn't know before. It also focused a lot on African culture and its similarity to African-American culture. This movie showed the contribution that Ali had to Africa.

    2. The message of this film is that Africans are not much different from African-Americans. Many people think of them as not advanced of smart, but they are as advanced as America and they have a very interesting culture that is in some ways similar to ours.

    3. This film is still relevant to today because it really shows African culture. Some of the things that Ali talks about in this movie is very important to African culture and can educated Americans about Africans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ~I think that the movie was rlly entertaining as well as informative. i was very surprised to see how one man could have such a loyal following of people who believed in him. Just by going to Zaire, he had brought pride to its citizens because he was a strong willed black man that understood them.

    ~I think that the message of this film was that Africans, and African-Americans are very similar in the way that they would to anything for their race, like, for example, fly to a different country and participate ina huge fight.

    ~I think that this film is still relevant today, because people still talk about the accomplishments of Ali and how he is still a hero, even after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this film showed the connection between african-americans and their african roots. Ali proved himself to be a good speaker and it was cool how he wanted to use the fight to represent his people. I think the message of the film was to show how two different cultures can relate over some things like boxing or music. I think the ideas in this movie are still relevant today. Not forgetting where you came from, working hard...
    -jordan b. 1st period-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Matt M Period 4

    I really liked this movie. It compared african-americans from Africa and america a nd the challeges they go through. It also compared Ali and Foreman. I liked how it went in depth on how they prepared for the fight.
    I think the message of the film was to potray Ali as not only a boxer but a politician and leader. It showed how Ali was an activist and a leader for the people of africa. It showed Ali as powerful and confident but also smart and funny.
    I think this film is still relevant because it shows Ali as a unique timeless figure. It also shows the problems in Africa that still exist.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. The movie really made me think about the "black" culture and how it is such a strong community one that seems to me to be stronger than any other community of ethnic races. because the blacks were oppressed it really brought them to gather and made them proud of who they are and what they stand for.

    2. I thought that the message of the film was that if you put your mind into something and really work hard at it and are persistent that you can and will become good at that thing that you have set you mind to. Also that one should not always listen to what other people say because it might bring you down.

    3. Yes, the film is relevant today because it shows how a man put his mind to something when everyone doubted him and came though and accomplished his dreams regardless of what other people thought. Ali showed people that if you work hard you will accomplish what you want

    ReplyDelete
  23. katie carr

    I think this film has made me realize more how different cultures can really be. Many people will assume cultures by appearance and it is deeper than that. Ali sent out a message that if you work hard and believe you will succeed. During the fight he got knocked around a lot at first but when he believed in himself and was strategical he pulled through. yes, i believe never giving up and stratification are important today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily Fishkin, P. 9

    This film has given me new thoughts about the connections between people. Not just Africans and African Americans, between all people. Music. Dance. Anger. I didn't know a lot about Muhammad Ali before this and now I think he's really cool. He's articulate, he's intelligent, he's funny, he's powerful, and he has all this spotlight on him all the time and he uses it. He uses it to spread the word, to tell a story, to help people, to criticize actions. THATS SO COOL.

    The message of this film is a lot about commonalities between people. Things we share, things we can connect about. Everyone shares this universal humanity, and that's what the movie is trying to say.

    It's absolutely still relevant. As long as people still fight over differences, as long as there is inequality, as long as some people are regarded as less human than others, this movie will be relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This film introduced me to Mahamid Allie and George Forman.I did not know who these two men were untill I watched this video.It captured how alike Africans and African Americans are. The video told of how Madhamid stood up for the black community in America and Africa. He stood up to the government when he said he would not go to war. He showed no fear towards his supiriors esspecially the white man. Mahamid is a smary witfull individual and showed that through his inerviews and movie. I think this film is relevent today to all races. It shows similarties and strengh within everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kelsey
    Period 9

    This film allowed me to see into the world of proffesional athletes and Africa. It made me realize how similar different parts of the world can be and how different they are at the same time. It's interesting that both the men were African-American but the people of Zaire mostly favored Muhammad Ali.The citizens believed that Ali was a a true African, he understood the people he was around. I think this film is definitely relevant today,because African-Americans can still relate to the points about race and success that were brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. -Khadijah Period 9

    1.I thought this film was kind of interesting like the way they put it together.I didnt know much about Muhammad Ali and this film helped me understand what great of a speaker he was.

    2.I think the message of this film was to show the many connections between Africa and African American people. And also it teaches you how to be confidence in the stuff you do, and that African people are smarter than people think.

    3.Yes I think this film is still relevant today because it shows Muhhamad Ali's greatest accomplishment and how he backs up what he says. Also it shows not to be embarrased by your culture, but be proud of it and who you are as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  28. From watching the movie I got so much NEW information about Muhammad Ali. This one man had an affect on over thousands of people, and I understand why they followed him. It was like he was protecting them; which he was. He showed people of America that Africans are not all that people of America think they are. They are incredibly smart, very resourcful, they are together. Muhammad said that Africans there and African Americans in America are connected, and that African Americans have in a way "adopted" the ways of the "White Man".
    I think that the message of this film was to say don't forget where you came from, and don't be ashamed of it either; except it, be proud of it. Also to raise your voice, prove yourself. Don't let someone walk over you and make others think something other than what you are. Muhammad went to Africa, and through this documentary showed me that Africans do not deserve to be stereotyped the way they are today. Also Africans and African Americans are very similar.
    This Film is still relevent to today. I mean for one the stereotypes are back and they are the same too. In the case of Ali his name is still heard in homes all around the world. People either know him just as the boxer or maybe they know him as the man that became like a "God" in Africa.
    Over all i really enjoyed the movie!
    9th period.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alexis Gill Period, 4
    Question: 1
    I think this is one of the best sports documentaries that I have seen. I liked how I was able to learn about Muhammad Ali the man as well as Ali the boxer. I also thought it was cool how they showed the differences in Aficans and African-Americans.

    Question: 2
    I think the message of the film was to show the similarites and differences that Africans and African-Americans have. It also shows poeple that Africans are smarter than what we give them credit for and how sterotypes can proceed a culture. I think the message was to also show how one man or sport can put together two cultures.

    Question: 3
    Yes I think this film is still relevant today because it shows how we stereotype Africa because of the things we were taught growing up.It's also relevant because one of the statements Ali said. He said the difference between Africans and African-Americans is that Africans know how to have dignity in their poverty which I believe is still true today.

    ReplyDelete
  30. -Lydia Period 4

    1.I found this film to be very powerful.I found myself compelled by the words that Muhhamad Ali said. He inspired me to use the talents that were given to me for the greater cause which is make a better name for my people, the African Americans,in this society. I really liked to watch the fight between Ali and Foreman because I felt like I was there and it was one of those moments that are instantly historical.

    2. The message in this film seems to be that everyone can attribute to the changing of this world. What this film is showing us is an example of a man who found a way to change the world through boxing and actually took advantage of this.We can all be heroes and change the world one way or another but each of us will have our own way of doing so.

    3. This film is very relevant today, in my eyes, because often times we see young women and men with a unique gift whether it be music, dancing, playing basketball or whatever who don't know that they can use that to help rewrite history and help to make the world a better place. If they saw this film they might think twice and discover that their talents and gifts can make a difference too, that's why I say it's relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lauren Period 1.

    1. I thought this film was several messages combined in one. I think this film showed that if you talk smack, then you have to be able to back it up. It made me think about the self confidence Ali displayed. I also thought the film was intresting with all the different music. I knew that Ali was a boxer, but I didn't kno he actually motivated people as well.

    2. I think the message of the film is to never underestimate people. Ali spoke about how intelligent the Africans were. They knew several languages. I always knew that Africans were smart, I just never thought they were smarter than Americans. This film helped me realize that it doesn't matter where people come from as long as they gain knowledge, they will always be intelligent.

    3. I believe this film is still relevant today. People look up to Ali, and follow his steps to succeed in boxing. People learn new things everyday, and this movie can teach you new things everytime you watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1. The similaries and differences between Africans and African Americans. For example, they have similar cities and towns. They also have different lifesyles
    2. They are the same or connected. For example, they have a lot of characteristics in common. It is also about the history of George Foreman and Muhammad Ali.
    3. Yes, The film was interesting because it showed the lifesyles and personalities of George Foreman and Muhammad Ali. The film also shows that everyone is similar in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Emily p.4

    Sorry this is late.

    1. Some of the new thoughts this film brought up to me was what a good boxer Mohammed Ali is because I never knew really who Mohammed Ali was and this film gave me a really good overview of his life. Also, it was interesting to see the differences between Africans and African Americans. I had no idea the huge differences and the impact it had. Overall, this movie opened my eyes to new ideas I didn't know before.

    2. I think the film had tow messages. (1) To show Ali as not only a boxer and accomplished athlete, but also as a political leader. (2) To show the connection between Africans and African Americans. Africans don't usually see how they are connected to African Americans but this film profiles that connection perfectly.

    3. I think this film is still revlevant today. I think that Africans and African Americans don't always see the connection to each other and this movie is perfect to show them and everyone else the connection between those two groups of people.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Alejandra Campos P.4

    1. I really liked the film, and i had a chance to learn more about Muhammed Ali because before I didn't know he was such a powerful speaker and a great legend. It was intresting how the movie went back and fourth comparing Africans with African Americans. What i also liked was a guy from the movie said that not many teenagers knew about this Historical event, which was the fight between Foreman and Ali and he was right i enjoyed watching the fight.

    2. I thought the message of this film was to show the world our connection with other places, even if we may seem different we are much alike. Like the Africans and African Americans had many similarities.

    3. This film is still relevant today because Africans and African Americans aren't much different, than when the movie was made. You can still learn about there culture and lifestyle from watching this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The movie kind of annoyed me. I couldn't understand why the Africans were so wrapped up into American culture and music. At the beginning, I was hoping that the American visitors would learn a lot more about African culture and the viewer would be able to see these interactions, but it just seemed like an American invasion. All interactions the viewer sees in the movie are the Africans idolizing the Americans. I did think it was interesting that they identified more with Ali and looked up to him for his refusal to go to Vietnam. They liked how socially controversial he was. I think this is because social controversy was not possible under such a horrible dictator.
    This movie, although interesting, is no longer relevant because there are not as many interactions between Africa and America any longer. The interactions that do happen are to aid the sick, hungry, and poor on the continent. It may be necessary for people to see the movie to realize that U.S. and African relations would be quite beneficial and easy to establish, so I guess the movie is still kind of relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Adonis Jones Period 1

    1. When you usally think of athletes you think of what they accomplished in their sport. When you think of Muhammed Ali he wasn't just an athlete. He wasa symbol of African pride of someone who was scared to speak his mind about anything.

    2. The movie show some of the similarites between Africans and African Americans. And the connects that they shared.

    3. The film is still relevant today because it is important to see the different cultures of Africans annd african americans.

    ReplyDelete
  37. this film made me really think about how we see africans in the media and how we would see them if we where there first hand. this film is still a form of media, so we can't really see how they live thteir everyday lives. This gives us a diffrent side of the same story. now we have American media portraying Africans for entertainment and we have American media portraying Africans in reality. To have a full story we would have to go there ourselves, because even if they did media, its still a camera and when there's a camera around people don't act the same.

    ReplyDelete
  38. 1.the film was give me a wake call in a way. It showed that if you think your gonna win you are but you have to put the effort to work hard at what you want to accomplish..you learn about african culture a little bit.

    2.The message of the film, was to educate other about the differnce between and afican american and african from africa.

    3.yes in a way because it teaches many things like how to be confident. also how to be a more educated person about other countries.

    ReplyDelete