Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Asia 1


What's the most interesting thing you learned from our time hanging out with the Singaporeans?

18 comments:

  1. Emma F
    I enjoyed getting to know the ways that they thought about us, seeing things a bit from their perspective. I also really enjoyed learning about Singlish; it was fun to hear the kind of slang they would use at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda W
    I thought it was really interesting that they had a similar sort of culture to ours. Also that they were very prepared in their presentations and knew so much about a lot of random things. It was interesting that they all moved away from their homes in China to go to school in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lanie B

    I thought that the Singaporean students were really cool and fun to talk to. I also liked that we had a lot of stuff in common. For instance, two of the girls played tennis and I play tennis. That made breaking the ice a little bit easier. Also, they weren't really shy and they were willing to talk to you about their home and their culture. It was really cool and fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma So.

    I really liked how interested they seemed in learning about us, and how they wanted to share lots of things about themselves as well. It was cool to see how they liked to do the same things as we did, eat the same junk food and celebrate similar holidays. Also, Singlish was interesting and it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed our time woth the Singapoeran students. I found it interesting how school oriented they were and that some of them were from China, but going to school in SIngapore. I also found Singlish interesting.

    Claire L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tooker B
    I enjoyed meeting the Singaporean students.
    they were quit and polite and kind. I learned a lot from them about there country and way of life i hope they stay in contact

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline T.
    I thought it was interesting in how their school had recruiters and how well both the Chinese and Singaporeans spoke English and were respectful to all of their cultures

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked how different their school is from ours and Singlish was also very interesting.

    Alex VB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was interesting that english was the mainly spoken language in schools.

    Julia B

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most interesting thing I learned from the Singaporeans is how they viewed us as Americans, for example the first thing that came to mind when we were asking them about American food was the extremely large portions that goes along with food from our country. Also I thought that he lesson on Singlish was great, and I learned a lot from it. It is so interesting how they combined a number of languages together so that everyone in Singapore, who come from various backgrounds (Chinese, Indian etc.) can communicate with each other. Overall I think that the time spent with the Singaporeans was very interesting and I would recommend it to any other history class.

    Taylor N.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the most interesting thing i learned from being with the singaporeans for a week is how similar they are to us. when we thought of doing children's stories for our presentation, and then found out that they had read all of the same books we had, it really made me realize how similar they really are to us. they also watch the same movies and have most of the same candy we do too. so many similarities they had with us i never would have realized, and it really made me open my eyes and think that about all cultures i think are so much different than ours.

    Max A

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brad M

    I thought the students spoke english very well. I was surprised by how advanced they were. I figure that if they took classes in english, then we should take classes in a language as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked having the Singaporeans because it showed another Asian culture that isn't just learning from a book or a slideshow. But i wish they coulv'e showed us more than just a really fast slideshow.

    -JP

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most interesting thing I learnt from the time we spent with the singaporean kids was the fact that they were taught in English and how good their English was. I was really surprised that everything was taught in English, and not in one of their native languages.

    Madalen R.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was really fun getting to meet the Singaporean students amd getting to see a little bit about people who are the same age as us act. It was really cool to see that we had lots of things in common but we were also completely different in some aspects. I loves that they would come to class everyday and know our names, even though we had only known them for a few days. Ireally enjoyed meeting them and hope to keep touch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked meeting the Singaporeans. They were really nice and chill. I liked trying their "junk" food. it seemed a little healthy for my taste in junk food but it was still good. My favorite was teh fortune cookie thing, it was flat and folded over a couple times and tasted like honey. It was DELICIOUS!

    Kirsten A

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a lot of fun during the week when the singaporeans came to visit, cause the students basically got the chance to run the class for a day. They spoke english very well too. and it was just fun getting to know they and what their perspectives were about us and how different school is well mainly that their school is very strict and it would suck if i went there cause they don't get away with a lot of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny Rees

    After meeting and talking to the singaporeans for a week, I realized that they really arent that different from us and when you talk to them you totally forget they are from a different country! They share teh same intrests in music, sports, and food for the most part. THey are just typical teenagers like us so it was cool having them around and learning about how they life and what they are accustom too that differ from us in america

    ReplyDelete